Friday, July 18, 2014

From Basket to Light Fixture




As always, this story starts at Goodwill.  I was shopping there one day and came upon this precious little basket.  I picked it up, admired how cute it was and then put it back down and continued to look around.  I found myself looking back at the shelf it was on for another 5 minutes to see if anyone else had picked it up yet.  Then I decided I had to have it.  I may or may not have *almost* knocked people over to get back to it.  Then I took a few pictures of it and sent them to my sister (this is my norm if I cant decide
on a purchase).  :) 

Before (The actual pictures I sent to Ashley from Goodwill)  ;)


The more I looked at it the more I thought it would be so cute hanging up, like as a light fixture.  And what do you know...I needed a new light fixture in my office The Parlor.  I think the basket was $3.99.  So why in the world I stood there trying to decide if I should get it for 10 minutes is beyond me.  Frugalness is a gift God has blessed me with.  :) 

That night when Mark got home I couldn't wait to show him my new light fixture (well soon to be light fixture).  My husband is pretty amazing.  I mean, I bring all sorts of crazy things home for my projects and he always gets roped in at some point...but never complains. 

I decided to take the handle off and drill a hole in the bottom which would soon be the top that the light cord would come through.  I spray painted it white because I thought that would look better in The Parlor.  Then I purchased a white Swag Kit for the light part.  Mark did the electrical but after watching him I'm pretty sure I could do the next one (with his supervision).  It was super easy, it took maybe 5 minutes.  There are lots of videos on YouTube that show you how but be careful if you try it yourself!!! If you are local I can give you the number of certified electricians who are very trustworthy and not expensive.



I really love how it looks!  The shadows on the ceiling are so pretty! 






I just love how this turned out.  I'm now walking around my house trying to decide which rooms need a DIY light fixture in them.  :)  I think my total cost was less than $15.  That includes the basket, spray paint and swag kit.

Do you have any rooms that are needing a new light fixture?  I feel like it completely changed the look of the room!  I would love to see your before and after pictures if you decide to give it a try!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Basket turned Light Fixture!

5 comments:

  1. Ok....need basket...need wiring....NEED place to hang it......ASAP! Really like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! You should drop by Goodwill, they have TONS of baskets. :) Good luck! I would love to see pictures!!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how many times I've thought of this Basket Light! Adding another project to my list! I'm inspired! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Girl! Let me tell you. I've been trying to decide on one for my laundry room and then what do you know...on my trip to Target last night there was a Farmhouse Style pendant wire light for $6.88! I bought both of the ones they had in stock. I cant make a light fixture for that cheap! They were marked wrong but Target honored the price!

      Delete